UNILORIN Postgraduate Admission Form 2020/2021 Full & Part-Time
Qualified candidates are invited to apply for admission into various post graduate Programmes of UNILORIN 2020/2021 academic session.
- Candidates are advised to select courses available in the advertisement. Any action contrary to this instruction is at the candidate’s risk, please.
- Candidates are advised to PRINT out the advertisement and STUDY thoroughly before COMMENCING the application procedure
A. POSTGRADUATE PROGRAMMES OFFERED.
1. Ph.D. Degree Programmes
These are available to holders of M.A; M.Ed.; M.Eng.; M.Sc.; LL.M; M.Comm.H.; and M.P.H degrees, with a minimum of 60% or cumulative Grade Point Average score in their Master degree programmes. A Ph.D. degree programme runs for a minimum period of 36 calendar months and a maximum period of 48 calendar months for full-time candidates OR a minimum period of 48 calendar months and a maximum period of 60 calendar months for part-time candidates. Relevant Courses will be taken for the Ph.D. studies where prescribed and a Thesis is required at the end of the Ph.D. programme.
2.M.Phil /Ph.D. Degree Programmes
Candidates who score between 55.00 and 59.99 percent Cumulative Grade Point Average can apply for admission into the Master of Philosophy (M.Phil/Ph.D.) degree programme. The M.Phil/Ph.D. degree programme is available only to full-time candidates. It runs for a minimum period of 12 calendar months and a maximum period of 24 calendar months and a dissertation is produced after the research work. Candidates in this category are eligible for conversion to Ph.D. candidature, following a progress assessment report to be made by a Panel of Examiners at the end of the first session of registration. To be eligible for conversion for the Ph.D. program, candidates are expected to score not less than 60% (aggregate) at the end of the first session.
3.Master Degree Programmes
M.A.; M.Ed.; M.Eng.; M.Sc.; M.Com.H., LL.M and M.P.H. degrees run for a minimum period of 24 calendar months and a maximum period of 36 calendar months for full-time candidates OR a minimum period of 36 calendar months and a maximum period of 48 calendar months for part-time candidates. All Master Degree Programmes are by course work. This is in addition to a research report at the end of which a dissertation is produced
4.Postgraduate Diploma Degree Programmes
Postgraduate Diploma degrees are available to candidates with a Third class (honours) degree.
5. General information
(a) The Postgraduate session for Postgraduate programmes is 12 calendar months, commencing on 2nd October and ending on 30th September of the following year. The 12 calendar months start to count automatically from the date of first registration.
(b) Applicants are to note that programmes automatically lapse at the expiration of the prescribed maximum duration for each programme. A candidate may, however, apply for an extension of not more than 6 months, in the first instance, subject to a maximum of two such extensions.
ELIGIBILITY FOR ACADEMIC PROGRAMMES
GENERAL ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
- All Certificates shall be available at the point of purchasing the application form, including the National Youth Service Corp DISCHARGE CERTIFICATE OR EXEMPTION CERTIFICATE.
- Candidates are expected to submit their application forms on line together with the scanned copies of their credentials.
- All supporting documents in (i) above and the hard copy of the application form should be forwarded to the Secretary, Postgraduate School, University of Ilorin, Ilorin, Nigeria between Monday, 1st June 2020 and Friday, 10th July, 2020 while the submission of Transcripts of Academic Records should be to the Head of Department where the admission is being sought The Postgraduate School will not be held liable for any misdirected transcript, please.
- All candidates must have 5 O/L Credit passes, including English Language and Mathematics.
- Applicants for the Master degree programmes who are graduates of the University of Ilorin and other recognized universities must have a minimum of Second Class Honours Degree (Lower Division) and must be applying for programmes in which they have their first degrees. However, applicants with Second Class Honours Degree (Lower Division) and those with higher classes of degrees seeking admissions into programmes outside those in which they have their first degrees may be admitted, provided they satisfy Senate in a qualifying examination to be conducted. The least class of Degree for all academic programme applicants is Second Class Honours Degree (Lower Division). Regardless of the institution where the Bachelor’s degree is obtained. ALL candidates shall apply early for their official Bachelor’s degree transcript to be sent to the Head of Department where the admission is being sought, before the expiration of the stated deadline in B(ii) above.
- Applicants for the Ph.D. degree programme shall have obtained a relevant Master degree of this or other recognized University, with an average weighted score of at least 60%. Short-listed candidates would be required to satisfy the Postgraduate School in the qualifying interviews and assessments by the relevant Department. Applicants are therefore advised to interact with the department to which they have applied to ascertain the date of the interview for the Ph.D. degree programme. Regardless of the Institution where the Master degree was obtained. ALL candidates must apply early for the official copy of their academic transcripts to be sent to the Head of Department where the admission is being sought for the purpose of this admission and before the expiration of the stated deadline.
- All Higher Degree candidates that attended foreign Universities, where English language is not the medium of instruction, should submit to the Postgraduate School, evidence of their English Language proficiency, e.g. TOEFL or IELTS scores.
- Applicants for the Postgraduate Diplomas and Masters degree Programmes will be subjected to the written assessment (qualifying examination) irrespective of the class of degree obtained, except applicants from the University of Ilorin with a First Class and Second Class, Upper Division (Honours).
- International applicants (Applicants who are domiciled outside Nigeria, and non-Nigerian and applying outside the country) shall be exempted from the qualifying examination. However, International applicants applying from outside the country for the Doctor of Philosophy programmes shall be requested to submit a proposal of not more than 5 pages, giving details of what research they intend to carry out. This should be sent electronically to email@example.com
- Applicants applying for any of the Full-time programme of the University should the letter of release from their employers at the point of registration.
i. Applicants for the Postgraduate Diploma in Computer Science shall satisfy one of the following:
a. a minimum of first degree in any of the following disciplines from a recognised University: Sciences, Engineering, Social Sciences or the Humanities.
b. HND in Computer Science or Engineering from recognized Polytechnics with a minimum of Lower Credit; and
c. HND in any other discipline different from those in (b) above but preferably from Sciences or Social Sciences with a minimum of Lower Credit from a recognized Polytechnic or equivalent Institution, with at least one year cognate experience.
ii. Applicants for Postgraduate Diploma in Statistics shall satisfy one of the following:
a. A minimum of an honour’s degree from a recognized University in any of Science and Social Science disciplines;
b. HND in Statistics from a recognized Polytechnic with a minimum of Lower Credit.
iii. The M.A. Peace and Security Studies is OPEN ONLY to participants of the Executive
Intelligence Management Course (EIMC) of the Institute of Security Studies, Abuja.
The M.A. Peace and Strategic Studies is OPEN ONLY to participant in the Executive Management Course (EMC) of the Nigerian Army School of Education (NASE), Ilorin or any other equivalent programme approved by NASE.
iv. The M.Sc. Integrated Water Resources Management (IWRM) is OPEN ONLY to participants of the Natural Water Institute, Kaduna.
Application fee for all programmes is N25, 000.00 only for Applicants within Nigeria OR $200.00 only for International Applicants.
DATES AND VENUES OF QUALIFYING EXAMINATION
A three-hour qualifying examination for all applicants stated in C6 above for those seeking admissions into Master and Postgraduate Degree programmes, will hold on on a date to be announced later, at 8.30 a.m prompt in the following venues:
(i) FACULTY OF ARTS NEW LECTURE THEATRE:- For candidate seeking admission into Faculty of Arts.
(ii) FACULTY OF ARTS LECTURE HALL AND FACULTIES OF MANAGEMENT SCIENCES AND SOCIAL SCIENCES LECTURE THEATRE: – For candidates seeking admissions into Faculties of Management Science and
(iii) FACULTY OF EDUCATION NEW LECTURE THEATRE – For candidates seeking admissions into Faculty of Education.
(iv) LECTURE THEATRE I & II NEW SCIENCE LECTURE THEATRE & ENGINEERING LECTURE THEATRE
for candidates seeking admissions into the Faculties, Basic Medical Sciences, Clinical Sciences, Engineering & Technology, Physical and Life Science.
(v) FACULTY OF LAW LECTURE ROOMS AND THEATRE: for candidates seeking admission into the Faculty.
(vi) FACULTY OF COMMUNICATION AND INFORMATION SCIENCES LECTURE THEATRE: for candidate seeking admission into the Faculty.
That while this advertisement serves as the invitation for the Qualifying Examination which is to be held at a date to be announced later, all applicants are strongly advised to provide their functional GSM number and e-mail addresses for further information and necessary communication. The University shall not be held responsible for any disappointment occasioned by wrong information on the part of applicants. You are hereby required to be checking your e-mails frequently.
METHOD OF APPLICATION AND DEADLINE
Application Forms are to be completed on-line and will close on Friday, 10th July, 2020.
Note that the latest date for receipt of supporting documents is Friday, 31st July 2020.